Career Counseling is an hourly fee ($40/hr). Career Counseling from me typically encompasses the following:
- Read and evaluate manuscript. The evaluation is given via Skype. No editorial letter or in-the-manuscript comments are given.
- Publishing options. Many authors want to pitch a manuscript to a certain house and want help deciphering the publishing-house lines. Much of this can be found online. I will likely be using the information found online. But some authors still want a second opinion on whether a manuscript should be shopped to agents, houses, or self-published. I don’t know all the answers, but I can talk authors through their career goals, diagnose their strengths and weaknesses, and help them determine which paths might be best for them.
- Agent research. Some of my authors have signed with agents and I helped them through the vetting process. I can’t guarantee an agent will sell your manuscript, but we can have an informed discussion on which types of agents might be the perfect fit.
- Promotional materials. Pens or lip gloss? Bookmarks or postcards? Where to get it and what to do with it once you have it.
- Advanced Reader Copies. What are they and what to do with them?
- Book price. Not sure what to price your book for? We can discuss.
- Workshops. Some authors can present them to RWA chapters, writer groups, schools, and online.
- Website. What should be on yours and what you can do without.
- More. Talk to me; we’re in this together.